navigation

19 July 2023

solo date - finding calm at the café



For the most part, I am an extremely independent person. I also don't shy too easy, so the thought (and act!) of taking myself on "solo-dates" shouldn't really be new territory, but it so is! To be honest, as I live with my fiancé and he gets home from work earlier than I do, there is rarely any time I am alone. Therefore, I never really think to take myself out as on the rare occassion I am alone for a few hours, I normally open up YouTube/Netflix, pour a glass of pepsi max and crack on with work/cleaning/something else boring. However, today my fiancé is going to the cinema with a friend to watch the new mission impossible film (again, this is something we normally do together but we *also* watched it at the weekend, he just wanted to go again and the showing started before I finish work). I automatically, subconsciously assumed that I would just be in the flat on my own for a few hours and chill on the sofa until he gets back but then I thought to myself, why not go out by myself? One thing I am really hoping to make more of an effort with is making the most out of my evenings rather than just 'living for the weekend'. I could be utilising the hours after work so much better than I am currently and as the sun was shining, I thought that I'd also make the most of that too.


There is a café/restaurant not far from my flat called Muddy Beach. It takes me about 15 minuites to walk and as a bonus, it is right by Penryn harbour so the view isn't bad either! I drove home from work to dump my stuff then I put my airpods in, grabbed my journal, phone, laptop, and camera, and set off on a nice sunny walk to Muddy Beach.



It was surprisingly busy for 5:45pm, but it is graduation season so Falmouth/Penryn are busier than normal at the minute. Originally I sat outside to listen to the harbour sounds and I overheard a couple from America chatting to a waitress about Cornwall. The American lady was here for her masters graduation-amazing!! The waitress was a student herself and very kindly offered to help me with my things when I asked to move inside as I did start to feel a little cold.

I enjoyed an iced oat latte as well as a diet coke and a side of cheesy fries. I had my airpods in at first to listen to a self-help podcast, but then I decided to set that aside and just sit for a while and honestly, that was a good decision. I have never regretted the decision to just take a moment to be in the present and find a moment of calm. At this point, I found it apt to do a bit of journalling and reflect on my goals. As I had just finished work, I decided to focus on my career goals as this was what I could visualise the best.



I'll be honest, I felt a little bit sick after those fries and I did not finish them. They were not bad by any means, I think my eyes were just bigger than my stomach! Once I’d paid up, I stuck on another podcast and had a quick walk around the harbour before walking back to my flat.



I’m already thinking of more ways to make the most of my time and I feel like I’m truly shifting to an abundance mindset. If you have any other solo date ideas, please leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS